„HPLC-Knowledge compact“: Essential Topics condensed taught
In these half-day workshops (8.30-12.00 am and 1.00-4.30 pm) we highlight a specific HPLC-topic very intensive (group work, exercises, question-answer-games). The workshops are suited perfectly for experienced HPLC-users. Different workshops can of course be arbitrary combined, however some topics fit very well together, e.g. in the morning „Comparison and selection of HPLC-RP-columns“ and in the afternoon „Which gradient should I use?” or in the morning „Intelligent method development“ and in the afternoon „How to prove robustness“ etc. Participants can in principle attend only the morning-workshop or only the afternoon-workshop as well or of course both.
Overview of the offered workshops
1. „Development of robust HPLC-methods – „that´s” the way!
- Method development under time pressure
- Proven/successful combinations of column/mobile phase/pH-value
- Tests to prove column stability – basic requirements for a robust routine method
2 „Tips und hints how to prove the peak-homogeneity“
- Quick tests in absence of LC-MS-coupling
- What is „best“? DAD, LC/MS/MS, less injection volume or a polar pre-column?
- Tests for the optimum “benefit-cost-ratio” – the “5-min method”
3. „Tips for successful method transfers“
- Typical organisational and analytical errors during method transfer
- „Do´s und dont´s“-list to avoid future trouble
- Review of real cases
4. “Testing“/verification of robustness in HPLC“
- What is crucial but has been often „forgotten“ during testing robustness?
- Hints how to realize lack of robustness by carefully reading the method description
- Schemes and plans to test robustness dependent to the characteristics of the method and the matrix
5. „Correct integration and correct evaluation of chromatographic data“
- Poor resolution, „snippy“ peaks close to LOQ and/or drifting baseline – how to integrate correct, e. g: drop, „valey to valey“, tangential or exponential skim?
- Which chromatographic parameters and which software settings affect how strong peak area, peak shape and LOD/LOQ?
- What does mean a „too“ small RSD and what should be the consequence? Is this value a usual deviation or an outlier?
6. „Choosing the „right“ eluent – incl. gradient elution“ (mobile phase in detail plus a little bit gradient)
- How to quickly find the appropriate composition of the mobile phase and of the right pH-value dependent on the analyte or the real aim of the method?
- When methanol, when acetonitril, when, which pH-value (and buffer)?
- Exercises for optimization and troubleshooting of gradient runs
7. „HPLC in pharmaceutical companies; specific requirements und tips for the daily work“
- System Suitability Test, SST; what, how, how often – requirements und reality
- Which guidelines are clear and which are “interpretable”? News and trends by the FDA, USP, ICH, Pharm.Eur.
- Which claims are for the authorities very important, where lies the emphasis by the tests?
8. „Such a way you get the optimal output from your HPLC/UHPLC”
- HPLC vs. UHPLC: Benefits and drawbacks in the daily work
- Why do some modern columns in modern equipments sow a bad performance? Typical hardware-pitfalls
- Pro´s and Con´s of binary and ternary pumps, pre-heater or heat exchanger capillary etc. What are really the major/particular differences of modern HPLC/UHPLC-equipment?
9. Typical errors during sample separation
- Lost of analyte during the sample preparation procedure – the main reasons
- Kind of diluent and solving handling – their influence on peak shape, number of peaks and the reproducibility of the peak area
- How to avoid errors by preparing the mobile phase
And last but not least: A special, tailor-made workshop!
Your HPLC-method(s) in the focus of your in-house-training!
We prepare a custom-made workshop in which your methods are in focus – up to 4 methods per ½ -day workshop. Considering your whishes in the training we focus on sample preparation (method A), or/and optimization (method B), or/and integration (method C)…We support you, so that method becomes more robust, this one faster and in the third case you can save a lot of mobile phase by changing just few things.
The progress of the workshop is really individual, this particular training is based on your aim, e. g:
- You´d like to come to optimized methods – incl. hand-on in your lab at your HPLC-equipment? We work with you in your lab!
- You´d like to convert a 30-40 min. method to a in 5-10 min robust method with no or litlle revalidation work? Do you like to use your UHPLC really as „UHPLC“?
- You´d like to learn how to find an alternative, more robust column for these particular compounds? We bring a numerous of columns to try them out with you in your lab.
If you are interested just contact me, so we can discuss several opportunities to find the best training concept for you.